Are you wondering if you can make gluten free fried green tomatoes? You bet! We have a foolproof recipe for gluten free fried green tomatoes!
Fried green tomatoes are a national treasure and local delicacy in the South. Luckily these delicious treats don’t need to be given up if you’re gone gluten free! Here we present to you: gluten free fried green tomatoes!
The most important swap to make your fried green tomatoes gluten free will be the flour. Our gluten free flour of choice is Cup4Cup gluten free flour. We’ve found it works in almost every recipe we’ve tried so far, and we always have it on hand!
These tomatoes give you a nice gluten free crispier crunch. I love to sprinkle a little Maldon salt on them right before serving. It really helps make the tomatoes pop!
Gluten Free Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
This is a really simple recipe and can be whipped up in just a few minutes.
-4 green tomatoes, sliced
-1/2 cup gluten free flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
-1 egg, beaten
-1 tablespoon milk
-1/4 cup gluten free cornmeal
-3 tablespoons olive oil, canola oil, or avocado oil
-1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 30 minutes.
2. In a shallow bowl, combine gluten free flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, whisk together egg and milk. In a third shallow bowl, mix together cornmeal and Parmesan cheese.
3. Dip tomatoes in flour mixture, then egg mixture, then cornmeal mixture.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil of your choice. Add coated tomatoes and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
5. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with Maldon salt or coarse kosher salt. Serve warm.
We’ve made these as-is above, and have also tried a 2nd coat of flour instead of the cornmeal/parmesan mixture. This really comes down to personal preference. We really like both versions, to try them out to see which you prefer!
Enjoy your gluten free fried green tomatoes!
Find more great gluten free recipes here!