Yes. You read right. A FUN 5K! Not the hardest, fastest, easiest…the most FUN:
I ran the Color Me Rad 5K in Raleigh, NC and I got absolutely filthy…
So let’s start at the beginning. First off, our team name:
Your Pace or Mine?
Second, our town chose the Special Olympics as the beneficiary, so proceeds went to that non-profit. Each Color Me Rad race is different, so check out one near you!
When we went to pick up our race packet a few days before, we were given not only our bibs but also a SUPER SOFT race tee, rad sunglasses, and a
SWEET RAD temporary tattoo:
We were advised to wear white so that the color would show up on our clothing and to wear our new sunglasses for the race so that the color wouldn’t get in our eyes. What color you may ask…
WELL, all along the race, you run through color stations. At each color station you are sprinkled with colored (gluten free) corn starch powder.
OR if you’re like Team Your Pace or Mine? then you slowly walk/dance through each color station and get thoroughly SOAKED with color!
We were so impressed with the energy and enthusiasm of not just the race organizers but of the participants too!
As corny as it sounds…we were all having a RAD time.
The race isn’t timed, so we felt no desire to try to “win”. Instead, we enjoyed each others company and chatted the entire way. It was such a low stress – no pressure race. PLUS each time you ran through a color station you got to add a new color to your outfit!
By the end of the race – at the FINISH LINE, we were all a plethora of colors:
After the race is over, the organizers have what is called a Color Bomb. Basically, all the participants gather in the same space and everyone releases a color bomb into the air. It was pretty amazing…
and totally fun!
Even Parrish who couldn’t run the race because of his recent ACL surgery joined in on the Color Bomb.
WHY YOU SHOULD PARTICIPATE IN COLOR ME RAD:
- It supports a good cause!
- When else are you going to be able to get doused in color?
- It’s a great group bonding activity.
- Run or walk or dance – it’s up to you! All levels are welcome.
- It’s not timed = NO PRESSURE
- The BEST race swag ever.
- Seriously, did you check out our RAD tattoos?!
- All ages are welcome! I saw so many kids at our local race and they were having a great time!
TIPS FOR FUTURE COLOR ME RADDERS
- Bring some spare sheets and towels for your car ride home.
- If you race with a team use costumes or labeled t-shirts to distinguish you from the rest of the crowd. When you’re in a color cloud this is super helpful.
- Make a day of it! Afterwards plan an outdoor party or cook out so you can hang out in your color longer!
- When washing up afterwards, use a loofah!
- Be prepared to be awesome.
Check out the Color Me Rad website here for Race Locations and register early because most events sell out!
And getting ready to make some RAD memories!