It never fails: temperatures start rising and my appetite for salads goes right up with it! All winter long I crave hot soups and grilled cheeses, but once April comes along I’m all salad, salad, salad!
With packed lunch salads, there are a few KEY things that MAKE the salad.
1. Pre-chop your ingredients so that they’re bite size. Trying to cut lettuce into smaller bits in a to-go container is REALLY hard!
2. Pack your dressing on the side. You probably already know this but soggy lettuce is nasty sauce.
3. Protein it up! Lunch salads have to be more than just veggies. Whether it’s baked tofu, beans, chicken, or steak: toss it on! Keep your portion in perspective with 1/4 cup of your favorite cheese.
4. Pack an afternoon snack. Nine times out of ten, my salad loses steam around 5:00 or 5:30. Now if you’re lucky enough to eat supper around that time then you’re in luck! But if you’re like me and you don’t get to supper until around 7:00, then I would pack a 100-150 calorie snack for what I call “The Gap”. If I don’t eat a snack during the gap then I am STARVING by 7!
5. Throw in some Spinach! I love romaine the most in salads; what can I say, I’m a crunch girl! But I always throw in a handful of spinach to pump up the nutrition. It doesn’t affect the flavor or the crunch; easy peasey.
In this little gem:
Romaine, Spinach, Carrots, Sweet Peppers, Cheddar, and Slices of the BEST GF Chicken Nuggets ever
What about you?
CURRENT FAVORITE LUNCH?