I hate to say that I am STILL SICK! Not near death, but my body seems to really love this head cold. It’s holding on and going strong, with mucus and cough to boot. But the show must go on, and I’ve been working non-stop. Thanks goodness for Jeanine! Since I’m not producing any good recipes….just snot….Jeanine is here to save the day! Enjoy!
Jeanine has been a diagnosed Celiac for nearly 3 years. She resides with her husband and 2 children in rural Manitoba, Canada, where she is a stay-in-the-kitchen Mom. You can find her blogging her kitchen adventures over at The Baking Beauties. While you're there, please download the FREE Gluten-Free Holiday Baking e-book that Jeanine compiled, with the help of many other bakers. From my family to yours, Happy Holidays!
Hard Peppernut Cookies
These cookies have been made in my family for as long as I can remember. Every Christmas season we would have these hard little spicy cookies. I have not enjoyed them since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and to enjoy them again this holiday season is amazing. This recipe can easily be multiplied, if you like.
- 1 1/4 cups corn corn syrup
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups bean flour mix (see note)
- 1 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp all purpose gluten-free flour (see note)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- In a stand mixer, combine all ingredients until well mixed.
- Roll dough into logs, about 1" thick. Place rolls on wax paper lined cookie sheets, and freeze until solid.
- Remove the logs from the freezer only as you use them. Cut them into slices, about 1/4" thick.
- Place on PARCHMENT LINED cookie sheets (this is important, as they will stick if you don't do this), and bake in preheated 325 degree F oven for 20 minutes (or until golden brown).
- Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- These cookies can be stored in an air tight container on the counter for weeks.
Bean Flour Mix - 2 cups Garfava Bean flour, 1 cup Sorghum Flour, 3 cups Cornstarch, 3 cups Tapioca Flour. Combine all ingredients in a large zipper-top bag. Shake until well blended.
All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Mix - 4 cups superfine brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cups potato starch (not flour)
2/3 cup tapioca starch. Combine all ingredients in a large zipper-top bag. Shake until well blended.